Patient Flow Resources
Below are helpful resources available for free online- if you are new to the subject, I recommend starting at HospitalOvercrowding.com.
- HospitalOvercrowding.com Dr. Peter Viccellio’s site. The most complete online resource on the subject.
- (2012) Elaine Rabin, Keith Kocher, Mark McClelland, Jesse Pines, Ula Hwang, Niels Rathlev, Brent Asplin, N. Seth Trueger and Ellen Weber Solutions To Emergency Department ‘Boarding’ And Crowding Are Underused And May Need To Be Legislated Health Affairs 31, no.8 (2012):1757-1766 doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0786 Contains a good summary for senior leadership along with a large reference list.
- (2011) The Back End: Strategies to Improve Disposition- Jay Kaplan, MD (ACEP Director’s Academy) Contains a good summary of strategies for a complete approach to ED overcrowding.
- (2011) The Past, Present, and Future of Urgent Matters: Lessons Learned from a Decade of Emergency Department Flow Improvement – Academic Emergency Medicine “The Urgent Matters Seven Success Factors were drawn from the early work done by program participants and propose practical guidelines for implementing and sustaining ED improvement activities. This article chronicles the history, activities, lessons learned, and future of the Urgent Matters program.”
- (2009) Don’t put patients in egress halls when ED overcrowds: The Joint Commission is against such actions – StrategiesForNurseManagers.com Comments on inpatient boarding and fire safety. As always, be sure to clarify Joint Commission surveyor opinion vs. actual regulation.